Seek independent professional advice
If you are contemplating the sale of all or part of your structured settlement payments you should contact a settlement planning professional or a financial planner familiar with such transactions who can assess your needs. This could be a tax professional or an attorney who has either a working knowledge of the process or someone who has done these types of transactions before.

In many states it is mandatory that you have such representation in place before you attempt to sell your settlement. The reason for this is due to the possibility of certain tax liabilities or legalities that the common person would not be aware of.  It will also provide you with a better understanding of the totality of the deal and if it is a good idea for you to sell your structured settlement.

Do not be afraid to ask your potential advisor questions.  Ask them to put in writing how long they've been doing this. What professional designations do they hold that lead you to believe that they know about structured settlements?  You want to make sure they are qualified to give this advice. After all, remember that you are dealing with in many cases a large sum of YOUR money.